Court Approves $11M Hertz, ATS Settlement

A New Jersey Federal Court has given final approval of a proposed class-action settlement filed by plaintiffs Susan Doherty and Dwight Simonsen in 2009 (Doherty and Simonsen v Hertz Corp., et al.) . Hertz agreed to pay $11 million to settle class actions involving toll and administrative fees charged to renters who used electronic toll payment systems.

In May 2013, Hertz, American Solutions Inc. and the plaintiffs requested the court to preliminarily approve the proposed class-action lawsuit.

In this lawsuit, North Carolina resident Dwight Simonsen sued Hertz Corp. for allowing American Traffic Solutions (ATS) to place charges on customers’ credit cards without their consent. After renting from Hertz, Simonsen was billed $10.75 by ATS for a 75 cent toll. Hertz and ATS’ PlatePass program gives renters the ability to use toll roads with a built-in payment system.

Claiming Hertz renters are automatically enrolled in the PlatePass program without notice, this lawsuit alleges breach of contract and violation of the New Jersey Consumer Fraud Act.

“The Hertz rental contract only makes an oblique reference to transmitting billing information for tolls and traffic violations to ATS. In the context of what really occurs, this reference is misleading,” the class-action lawsuit said.

Comments

1. Carolyn Lee [ June 11, 2015 @ 08:46AM ]

Hertz is still utilizing this practice with PlatePass. I was fraudulently charge for a service I did not use or was aware it existed.

2. David Paris [ June 16, 2015 @ 12:54AM ]

I also had an unexpected surcharge on my credit card several weeks after returning home a couple of years ago caused by PlatePass. I vowed never to use Hertz again - and I haven't. Stop using them - it's the only thing they understand.

3. Roy Lancaster [ March 26, 2016 @ 10:21AM ]

This just occurred to me in the San Francisco Bay area. I rented a car from Hertz and was NOT apprised of PlatePass. I had passed over several bridges during the previous week and always paid the toll in cash. On the last day just before I turned the car in, I drove across the Golden Gate bridge. I was surprised that there was NO cash lane to pay the toll. Later I received a $32.00 charge $7.25 toll charge + $24.75 for an "Administration fee for 8 days @ $4.95/day, Max $24.74/Agreement.". I went back to Hertz.com to check if I had overlooked wording related to this. There was no mention of PlatePass - even though the pickup and drop off point was SFO.

I learned after my return home from the trip that one can pay the toll via telephone for the Golden Gate Bridge within 48 hours of crossing. More info below

http://goldengate.org/toll /alreadycrossedbridge.php

I will keep this number in my cell phone and use it in the future.

4. Denise Jones [ July 13, 2016 @ 09:49PM ]

Credit card charged 425.00 and hertz could only say it was due to tolls and to contact ATS. ATS could never find any violations and had to cancel my card and dispute it. After 3 months of fighting hertz, they finally acknowledged that with the mileage I had ran up on the car and the location of the toll charge, there was "no way that car could have driven to that distance" and must be faulty transponder??? This is BS, they just turn you over without any questions or opportunities for the driver to contest it. Their fraud costs me many many hours of work and hassle.

5. Mad Customer [ August 12, 2016 @ 04:16PM ]

Can a class action lawsuit be re-opened?

6. May [ August 24, 2016 @ 02:29PM ]

PlatePass just billed me charges for a tunnel that I did not cross. they said the burden of proof is on me to prove that I did not cross it. This is outright robbery for charges that I did not incur and is illegal! Another class-action lawsuit needs to be filed against PlatePass!

7. Jason [ August 24, 2016 @ 10:38PM ]

Just happened to me but Amex did not allow charge but alerted me of suspected fraud related to charge. They said may be tied to a rental car and to call them just to track issue. Thanked Amex for rejected and called Hertz who told me to call AST who then emailed me a laundry list of tolls adding up to $283. Was never in the area of changes. They wrote me 2 days later saying upon review my 'account' will be cleared of charges with no explanation as to how i was charged to begin with. I am going to call Amex and see if they can put AST on list of parties never to accept charges from without my verbal consent. Amex awesome job. Hertz - drop the fraudulent behaviour

Autonomous Vehicles and the Changing Role of the Fleet Manager

With fewer drivers and substantially longer fleet lifecycles, fleet managers will pivot to new job functions.

2017: Fleet Mix Will Be Paramount

Car rental companies are migrating to vehicle segments with better residual values, though not without bumps in the road.

Auto Rental Summit: Five Trend Lines

Taking in the seminars, discussions, and networking at the 2016 Auto Rental Summit, trend lines emerged around shifts in model mix, data protection issues, increasing labor costs, workforce engagement, and new platforms to rent cars.