Hertz Sends Call Center Agents Home

Hertz’s home-based agent program has allowed the company to source talent from a greater distance, mitigate risks and save on carbon emissions.

Hertz’s home-based agent program and ExpressRent kiosk initiatives are decentralizing the company’s workforce. Pictured is the first generation kiosk, though newer kiosks have a top screen to display the video agent.

While technology overtakes the workplace, it is also affording mobility options to some companies’ customers and employees. For the Hertz Corp., this mobility means transitioning traditional brick-and-mortar call centers into the home — the agent’s home.

Hertz’s home-based agent program, now operating for more than three years, has call center agents working from the comfort of their own chairs and desks to answer calls for many of Hertz’s programs. Hertz Chief Information Officer Joe Eckroth says the many limitations of traditional call centers — and the benefits of a decentralized workplace — motivated implementation of the program.

“Bricks and mortar is an expensive way to go and it can also limit the geography in which you can source talent,” Eckroth says, adding that consolidating operations under one roof increases risk when it comes to natural disasters, a power outage or other service disruptions. “I now have immediate capacity and redundancy because I have my workforce spread out geographically and on many different circuits,” he says.

An ‘Employee-Friendly’ Program

Through the home-based agent program, Eckroth says he has been able to tap into an expanded workforce around the company’s call centers in Oklahoma City and in Mobile, Ala., where it is not uncommon for workers to have one- or two-hour commutes. And with gas prices rising, “Working from home is like getting a raise,” Eckroth says, adding that it gives the employees flexibility to meld the job into their lifestyles.

Compared to employees working in a call center, Eckroth reports that employee satisfaction scores are often the same if not better, and are consistently higher every year.

Since the start of the program, the call agent attrition rate has improved by 40% with no difference in customer files per hour. “The metrics speak for themselves,” he says.

Finding the Talent

Employees who are appropriate for the home-based agent program require a different set of aptitudes than those in the tightly supervised atmosphere of a call center. Eckroth looks for employees that are self-motivated, self-healing and can fix their own technical issues. While Hertz gives the at-home agents special training, “You do have to be a bit more industrious,” he says.

In narrowing in on home-based agents, Hertz tests these qualities by putting the agent in an “incubator,” where the company can observe the agent and see if the employee can set up the equipment without trouble, for example. And it’s always the employee’s choice to take the at-home position or remain in the call center.

Currently, home-based agents account for 58% of Hertz’s U.S. reservation sales specialists — a majority of whom work out of the Mobile, Ala. office.

Difficulties in Decentralizing

Eckroth has learned that each home-based employee must still feel like a part of the company. This inclusion means that home-based agents can’t be located too far from a main office, where training and meetings can take place, though Eckroth says that this is most often done virtually.

“It’s a cultural change,” he says. “Decentralizing can be immensely scary. It starts to be a little nerve-racking because you’re taking what was tightly controlled and putting it out to hundreds of locations.”

He says that besides finding the right employees who will thrive at home, he makes every effort to make them feel a part of “something bigger” than just their home offices. “The last thing you want is people who are touching our customers every day not to be included in the culture,” he says, adding that he is constantly thinking of creative ways to include the at-home agents.

Leveraging the Decentralized Workforce

The Mobile, Ala. office is located adjacent to one of Hertz’s off-airport locations and is used as the hub for face-to-face communications with agents in the surrounding area. Hertz is looking at opening other regional training centers, Eckroth says.

Hertz is also looking at using the regional centers, or call center hubs, as a base for video agents for the company’s ExpressRent video kiosks.

“It’s a progressive strategy around a different way to attract, retain and get the best and brightest people in these jobs,” Eckroth says, adding that with so many call center-like jobs in the country, by having the option to be a video agent or one that works from home, “You’re really giving them the opportunity to work the way they want,” he says.

And one more benefit of home-based agents and the ExpressRent kiosks is “the whole sustainability thing,” Eckroth says. Through the home-based agent program, Hertz says it saved more than 8 million pounds of carbon emissions in 2011.

Hertz’s next step is to take both programs overseas. As of this writing, 29 video kiosks will be installed in London’s Heathrow Airport by June or July, Eckroth says, and starting a home-based agent program is also on Hertz’s radar for its Dublin call center.

See other articles here from our July/August 2012 issue.

Comments

1. Jerry Carlson [ December 6, 2012 @ 08:37AM ]

It's the future...It will help cut overhead expenses..

2. Bob Iannacoe [ January 2, 2013 @ 03:06PM ]

Will Hertz consider hiring retired Independant Budget Car & Truck rental Operators to join their network ro supplement Social Security income ??? A reply of any nature would be welcomed.

UHaul many years ago hired hamdicapped to handle phone inquires and in return recieved tax credits in N.J.

3. Sylvia Holley [ March 14, 2014 @ 09:28AM ]

Need help applying for this Job.

4. James [ March 28, 2014 @ 11:56AM ]

I worked for Hertz Corp. in the late 1980s for marty penn in the Iselin,nj. office. I was a sr. acct rep responsible for signing major accounts such as SONY CORP,ADP,HOFFMAN LAROCHE,SANDOZ,JOHNSON JOHNSON etc.However,i am currently on disability but would love to join the Hertz family again as a csr.I do not require medical benefits,just the opportunity to showcase my verbal telecommunication skills to all potential car renters,just like I did in the past.Please contact me asap .

5. James [ March 28, 2014 @ 11:57AM ]

6. Karen Buckley [ June 3, 2015 @ 03:38AM ]

I am very interested in your work at home program. I am excellent in reading maps as my previous job experience was driving a,scoop bus reading maps for the pick up and delivery of tge students. I worked all over the county where needed. I am also experienced with work at home other programs. I am looking for a stable position. I would appreciate getting information back in regards to becoming part of your team. Thank you. Karen Buckley

7. Ken Bryant [ September 9, 2015 @ 07:17PM ]

Would like information, please.

8. Alyssa Raymond [ February 11, 2016 @ 07:32PM ]

Would like information, please.

9. Apollo [ April 9, 2016 @ 11:11AM ]

Im working at Hertz call center in the philippines and im planning to apply if you do have open for home base call center. Please let me know how so i can plan myself set up home base along with my family. Please send me full details.

10. Tonja Buettner [ July 14, 2016 @ 09:43AM ]

Am interested in ur home based reservation booking jobs.

11. Renee Fothergill [ August 4, 2016 @ 12:01AM ]

I am looking to become part of your work from home program. I have had many of years of customer service. Please advise on my next steps to qualify.

12. Ashley Quick [ September 11, 2016 @ 07:31PM ]

Would love more information about the work from home program.

13. Vinny [ September 18, 2016 @ 10:15AM ]

Looking for Home Based Work. Very Experienced and Qualified.
    Please tell me how to apply etc
    Thanks

14. GINNY [ September 18, 2016 @ 10:16AM ]

Home-based work . Over 20 years of Business experience
    Very Qualified

The Customer Isn’t Always Right

Not caving to a customer with a blatant agenda may have consequences, especially for a small rental company that relies on stellar Yelp ratings to advertise. But business integrity must prevail.

The Truth Behind Compact Van Depreciation

Why are large van values holding up better than their compact counterparts, and will it last?

Car Rental’s Call to Action on Autonomous Vehicles

The car rental industry has built-in advantages to support a world with driverless cars, but it needs to take the next step in partnering with autonomous vehicle stakeholders.