Former Sixt Franchisees Protest in South Florida

Two former Sixt franchisees protested in front of the Sixt South Beach location in Miami.

Two former Sixt franchisees protested in front of the Sixt South Beach location in Miami Beach on Wednesday May 31. The protest then moved to the Sixt Ft. Lauderdale location.

Brian Canin, former owner of Sixt San Diego, and Andrew Almand, former owner of the Sixt franchise serving Austin, Texas, protested along with friends and family with picket signs that read “Sixt Hurt American Families” and “No More Lies to the Franchise Guys,” among others.

Canin filed a lawsuit against Sixt Franchise USA in Sept. 2015 for misrepresentation, violation of franchise investment laws, fraudulent business practices, and breach of contract. The lawsuit is currently pending.

“Sixt illegally terminated my franchise,” Canin said. “The business tactics employed by Sixt destroyed my livelihood. I bled orange. I fell in love with the brand and did everything to be great. As I started to realize what this company did to me, I lost faith until I was forced to sue.”

Almand, who was an Avis agency operator for 13 years before becoming a Sixt franchisee, sued Sixt Franchise USA in Oct. 2015 for misrepresentation, breach of contract, and deceptive trade conduct. He settled his lawsuit for an undisclosed sum.

“I was forced to settle, I had no choice,” Almand said. “At that point, I was out of money. I could not put food on the table. I’m still struggling.”

"Sixt rejects Canin's allegations, will vigorously defend the lawsuit, and has filed its own counterclaim,” said Todd Sazera, executive vice president of Sixt U.S. “Despite Canin’s continuous actions, during and after the operation of his San Diego franchise, made with the apparent sole objective to harm Sixt’s reputation, Sixt does not want to comment further on pending legal proceedings and places its trust with the U.S. court presiding over the lawsuit.”

Comments

1. Steve [ June 7, 2017 @ 12:40PM ]

Good for you, Brian!!

2. Scott K [ June 7, 2017 @ 01:07PM ]

SIXT also DOES NOT hire senior management from the US. It places job listings on such sites as Glassdoor, Monster and Indeed, accepts applications and then obtains H1 VISAs for their German brothers and sisters. All the local management in the US are younger very junior employees.

3. Jermey [ June 7, 2017 @ 02:18PM ]

I never thought the day would come; but never say never! (Former Insider)

4. ANDREW [ June 7, 2017 @ 02:45PM ]

Sixt's terrible business practices contributed to further harming American business owners and the companies that supported the franchisees and their families. While Sixt was spending hundreds of thousands of dollars defending their deceit and fraudulent business practices; the families they directly affected were desperately trying to make it. In the end we all took a long fall, most are still scrambling to make ends meet while some have lost everything. How can a company do this to the hard working Americans that gave them this very opportunity to do business here; to take advantage of small business owners that trusted what they showed us and told us. How do these people sleep at night?

5. Bob Hoag [ June 7, 2017 @ 06:59PM ]

I heard about this, It's an assault on basic human dignity. Looks like Sixt has financially devastated a number of families without regard.

6. Bob Marino [ June 12, 2017 @ 08:32AM ]

Has anyone looked at ECONOMY in Miami Airport also! Probably worse than Sixt! Unethical surcharges and padding of the bill. Filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney Generals office already and BBB. Economy's a SCAM! Avoid them!

7. Ed [ June 18, 2017 @ 08:19PM ]

I was a avis budget agency operator for many years and retired due to my choosing. can someone explain whats going on between sixt and there franchise partners in usa ?

An Inside Look at Car Rental in China

A trip to a new car rental convention in Guangzhou reveals a booming market, yet one facing unique challenges.

Auto Manufacturers: Mobility Disruptors or Fleet Providers?

Maven’s Alex Keros shares insights into evolving smart mobility business models and new opportunities with fleet management.

What is Your Time Worth?

Personal observations of retail and travel transactions reveal just how much a consumer’s time is worth today, and how increasingly intolerant we are of inefficient transactions.