Power Company Finds Success in Vehicle Remarketing

LAS VEGAS – Ed Russell of Minnesota Power spoke at the Conference of Automotive Remarketing (CAR) in Las Vegas, with the topic "How Public Utilities Found Happiness in the Used Vehicle Business." Minnesota Power, in developing from a regional company to a national company, bought 80 percent of Adesa Corp. in 1995, and purchased the remaining 20 percent in 1996. They are the second-lowest-cost power company in the U.S.

Minnesota Power entered into the auto business because it runs in cycles and has unregulated growth, giving them continuing profits. In addition, Adesa needed cash in order to grow. The automotive group made up 13 percent of Minnesota Power’s revenue in 1996, and in 1999 that number had risen to 29 percent.

Minnesota Power also owns Automotive Finance Corp. (AFC), which can finance any dealer anywhere in the country. AFC started with 12 auction locations, and now they have 33, as well as 84 loan offices. Minnesota Power improved aspects of these companies. For example, Adesa did not have employee benefits in the past, which it now does provide. Minnesota Power also has in its automotive group Great Rigs, its transport company. It has 150 carriers with 13 hubs across the country. They also are involved in the salvage business in Canada.

What Minnesota Power has gotten from Adesa and AFC is help and strategy in automotive marketing. Also, it learned that to be successful in the automotive business, "virtual must marry the real" – the Internet must mirror what happens at the actual dealerships. Russell also mentioned that Adesa is opposed to the merger of Manheim Auctions and ADT Automotive. Manheim currently has 60 sites and ADT has approximately 30. That merger would reduce competition and customer choices. Manheim will control 75 percent of the industry’s captive sales, and customers have the most to lose, he said.

Comment On This Story

Comment: (Max. 10000 characters)  
Please leave blank:
* Please note that every comment is moderated.

Newsletter: Sign up to receive latest news, articles, and much more.

Read the latest

Auto Focus Blog: A blog covering fleets, auto rental and the business of cars

Auto Rental Summit: Five Trend Lines

Taking in the seminars, discussions, and networking at the 2016 Auto Rental Summit, trend lines emerged around shifts in model mix, data protection issues, increasing labor costs, workforce engagement, and new platforms to rent cars.

Why Do We Visit Capitol Hill?

Members of the American Car Rental Association met with U.S. senators, representatives, and their aides last week. Here’s why bringing the message to this forum matters.

The Customer Isn’t Always Right

Not caving to a customer with a blatant agenda may have consequences, especially for a small rental company that relies on stellar Yelp ratings to advertise. But business integrity must prevail.

Job Finder: Access Top Talent. Fill Key Positions.