Ford Motor Co.'s recall of 2013-2014 model-year Escape and Focus ST vehicles, previously reported last month, is expected to get under way Sept. 29, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said.
The recall involves 133,227 vehicles in the U.S. that are at risk for stalling, NHTSA said.
The recall covers Escape crossover SUVs manufactured Oct. 5, 2011, to April 1, 2013, along with Focus ST vehicles manufactured Feb. 14, 2012, to Oct. 14, 2013. The vehicles are all equipped with 2.0-liter engines.
The vehicles' engine wiring harnesses may have splices that were insufficiently compressed during the supplier manufacturing process. Insufficient compression in the engine wiring harness splices to the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor may cause faulty signals to the powertrain control module (PCM).
Such signals could cause the vehicle to hesitate or the engine to stall, increasing the risk of a crash, NHTSA said.
The original supplier of the engine wiring harness assembly is Lear Automotive E.E.D.S. Tunisia SA, a subsidiary of Lear Corp.
Ford dealers will replace the current crimped splices with new splices, free of charge. Vehicle owners can reach Ford customer service at 1-800-392-3673. Ford's number for this recall is 14S17.
Originally posted on Automotive Fleet
See all comments