The Hertz Corp. and AAA have teamed up to provide customers with helpful driving tips for safe travel in harsh winter conditions.
“Along with our partners at AAA, our top priority is customer safety, which is why we've come together to give travelers a helpful list of things to remember when driving during snowy, slushy and icy weather,” said Dan Flynn, Hertz senior vice president of North America Rent A Car operations. “Since it can be hard to anticipate the conditions you may encounter while driving this winter, particularly in an unfamiliar area, it is always important to be prepared for any hazardous or unexpected weather.”
According to Hertz and AAA, here are some tips for safer driving this winter:
- Watch weather reports for your route and destination in advance. Delay trips when especially bad weather is expected.
- Rent a winter weather-friendly vehicle with tires equipped for driving on snowy and icy roads.
- Ensure windshields are properly cleared and cleaned before driving.
- Drive slowly. Everything takes longer on snow-covered roads, including accelerating, stopping and turning.
- Know when to brake and when to steer. Plan as early as possible and always look 20 to 30 seconds ahead of your vehicle to ensure you have time and space to stop safely.
- Increase following distance. The normal, dry pavement following distance of three to four seconds should be increased to eight to 10 seconds.
- If your vehicle skids, do not panic. Continue to look and steer in the direction you want the vehicle to go. Avoid slamming on the brakes.
- If you become snow-bound, stay with your vehicle. The car provides temporary shelter and makes it easier for rescuers to locate you.
"Winter car care and driving safety tips can sometimes be forgotten or even unfamiliar to people who don't drive in snowy, icy conditions on a regular basis," said Dr. William Van Tassel, AAA manager of driver training programs. "Through our partnership with Hertz, we're not only happy to share member discounts on rentals but also these quick tips for those renting vehicles this holiday season in areas where inclement weather may occur."