Advantage Rent A Car announced Dec. 8 that it has filed a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in the United States Bankruptcy Court for Minnesota. During this reorganization, the company is exploring strategic alternatives including reorganization of the businesses, a sale or merger. While pursuing strategic alternatives, the company plans to continue to operate its business.
In addition to its primary bankruptcy petition, Advantage also filed a number of motions to assure the continuity and stability of its business, including the payment of wages and benefits without interruption to current employees.
In addition to its Chapter 11 petition, Advantage also announced that it is consolidating its network of rental locations effective immediately. The move allows the company to focus its marketing and operational efforts on its most profitable, highest volume locations.
The following Advantage Rent A Car locations remain open only for the return of vehicles currently out on rental and will not be renting additional vehicles:
- Albuquerque, N.M. airport location
- Aspen, Colo. airport location
- Austin, Texas downtown location
- Boulder, Colo. University of Colorado
- Burbank, Calif. airport location
- Chicago O’Hare airport location
- Dallas/Fort Worth airport location
- Grand Junction, Colo. airport location
- Hayden, Colo. airport location
- Honolulu airport location
- Kansas City, Mo. airport location
- Las Vegas Hard Rock Cafe
- Los Angeles airport location
- Maui, Hawaii airport location
- Palm Springs, Calif. airport location
- Reno, Nev. airport location
- Rifle, Colo. airport location
- San Antonio, Texas airport location
- San Diego, Calif. airport location and Hard Rock Cafe
- Seattle, Wash. airport location
- Tucson, Ariz. airport location
The following Advantage Rent A Car locations remain open for normal business activities:
- Austin, Texas airport location
- Chicago Midway airport location
- Colorado Springs, Colo. airport location
- Denver airport location
- El Paso, Texas Las Cruces location
- El Paso, Texas airport location
- Houston, IAH airport location
- Orlando, Fla. airport location, International Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Kissimmee
- Phoenix airport location
- Salt Lake City airport location
Advantage has made arrangements with Hertz Car Rental to honor nearly all of the pending reservations at affected locations where Advantage cannot fill customer needs. Customers holding reservations to pick up a vehicle at an affected location can contact Advantage via the dedicated hotline or e-mail address above or at either its customer service or reservations numbers for more information.
Customers currently renting vehicles scheduled to be returned at affected locations should return their vehicles as scheduled.
Approximately 440 Advantage employees have received layoff notifications as a result of this consolidation. Advantage currently employs approximately 460 people at its remaining locations and at its corporate offices in San Antonio.