Since acquired by Enterprise Holdings last August, PhillyCarShare (PCS) has replaced 100% of its fleet with new cars, added more than 25% in additional cars and expanded to 23 new neighborhood locations, according to a Jan. 10 press release.
The new cars and expanded locations were introduced to PhillyCarShare to continue efforts to meet members’ ongoing needs. With an emphasis on energy efficiency, new vehicles include many alternative-fueled cars and hybrids, as well as specialty vehicles such as pickup trucks, and minivans.
Expanded neighborhood locations provide PCS service to the broader community, including the first PhillyCarShare locations at the Philadelphia Navy Yard, at the nonprofit People’s Emergency Center at 40th & Mt. Vernon, and at 46th & Baltimore.
To improve efficiencies and better serve its members, PhillyCarShare is also relocating its operations office in mid-January to 1226 Chestnut St., Philadelphia, Penn. 19107.
PhillyCarShare also continues to earn recognition for its sustainable impact on Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, in which it won awards most recently from the American Cancer Society and Citizens for Pennsylvania’s Future (PennFuture).
American Cancer Society’s “Chairman’s Award”:
• PCS was awarded the Chairman’s Award from the American Cancer Society for the success of PhillyPatientRide, a partnership between PCS and the American Cancer Society that provides transportation assistance to cancer patients going to and from treatment facilities.
• In 2011, the program’s inaugural year, PhillyPatientRide provided more than 2,100 one-way rides for approximately 140 cancer patients in Philadelphia.
• To date, nearly 160 volunteers have been trained as drivers in the program, and more than 400 people have inquired about future volunteer roles.
Citizens for Pennsylvania’s Future ( PennFuture) “Green Power: Turn It On!” Award:
• PCS was awarded PennFuture’s “Green Power Award” for promoting Pennsylvania’s clean-energy economy. PCS was recognized as one of the largest car-sharing programs in North America, helping to reduce air pollution and gasoline use by taking cars off the road and by using hybrids.
• PennFuture recognized PCS for its actions aimed at decreasing individual car ownership, reducing vehicle miles traveled, improving urban land use and development, and providing affordable access to vehicles for all constituencies in Philadelphia.
For more information or to sign up, go to www.phillycarshare.org.