According to the OPENLANE’s Price Index, all vehicle segments continued to exceed May 2008 levels, except cars. In addition, dealers’ interest increased in cars and minivans, but declined in SUVs and trucks.
- Car pricing leveled off last month falling 2 percentage points below May 2008 levels.
- Minivan pricing continued to be at its highest level surpassing May 2008 levels by 21 percentage points.
- SUVs continued their upward trend since December 2008 with a price increase of 3 percentage points last month exceeding May 2008 levels by 7 percentage points.
- Truck segment showed a slight decrease last month (the only segment to see a drop) but topped May 2008 levels by 16 percentage points.
- Dealer interest in the car segment showed an increase of 5 percentage points in May 2009 but fell 6 percentage points below May 2008 levels. Recall that interest in the car segment back in May 2008 was driven largely due to high oil prices
- Minivans experienced an increase in dealer interest of 5 percentage points last month and exceeded May 2008 levels by 16 percentage points.
- Dealer interest in SUVs dropped 3 percentage points last month but surpassed May 2008 levels by 9 percentage points.
- Trucks showed a drop in dealer interest of 13 percentage points in May 2009 and 5 percentage points in May 2008 levels.